Pages: 496
Published: Mar 2026
My Rating: 4/5
Find it at: Amazon
Book Blurb:
My Thoughts:
After spending the last few months speeding through twisty thrillers where someone is always lying, dying, or both, The Keeper by Tana French was a complete change of pace. And I didn't realize how much I needed it.
This isn't the kind of book you fly through in a weekend. In fact, it took me a while to settle into it. The writing feels dense at first, the pacing is deliberately slow, and I found myself having to adjust my reading rhythm. But once I did, I didn't want to rush anymore. Tana French's writing is absolutely top-notch—beautiful without trying too hard, rich in detail, and the kind of prose that makes you pause every now and then just to appreciate how a sentence is put together.
The story follows Cal as another mystery unfolds in the small Irish village of Ardnakelty. I kind of expected a fast-paced whodunnit packed with shocking twists every few chapters, but this book caught me off guard. The mystery is there, but it almost feels secondary. What this book is really about is the town itself -- its people, their relationships, loyalties, grudges, history, and the invisible threads that hold the whole community together. That was my favourite part.
| Tana French |
I also loved the distinctly Irish flavour of the book. The local Dublin and rural Irish expressions and dialogue gave the story so much personality. I won't lie -- it was a bit of a struggle in the beginning, and I occasionally had to reread conversations to make sure I'd understood them. But once my brain adjusted, it became one of the book's biggest strengths. It made the setting feel authentic rather than generic.
There were a couple of things that didn't quite work for me, though.
The biggest one was the way Cal and Lena's relationship starts to unravel once Lena decides to involve herself in the situation. I understand why the author took it in that direction, and from a storytelling perspective I can see what she was trying to achieve. But emotionally, it just didn't ring completely true for me. When someone you love is going through an incredibly difficult time, pulling away and leaving them to deal with it alone felt like an odd choice. It occasionally felt more convenient for the plot than believable for the relationship.
I also found myself wishing the mystery had a little more punch. There are certainly reveals and surprises along the way, but I kept expecting bigger twists that never really came. That's probably partly on me, I went in expecting a traditional suspense novel when that's not really what this book is trying to be.
Overall, though, I'm genuinely glad I picked this one up. It was refreshing in a way I wasn't expecting. It slowed me down when I usually race through books, reminded me that stories don't always have to sprint toward the next plot twist, and immersed me in a world that felt incredibly real. It made me stop and appreciate the quiet details of people's lives, their communities, and the places they call home.
If you're looking for an action-packed thriller, this probably isn't the book for you. But if you enjoy character-driven stories, immersive settings, gorgeous writing, and books that quietly get under your skin rather than shouting for your attention, I'd absolutely recommend giving The Keeper a try.

No comments:
Post a Comment